While the rest of the world were trolling Barcelona for their abysmal performance, residents of “Kiosk Estate” were battling a fierce fire outbreak at Shiashie, a suburb of Accra in the late hours of Friday night.
The fire broke out near the Faith Presbyterian Church and even though the Ghana fire service got to the scene early, there was little they could do to salvage the situation.
Eyewitnesses said the fire started around 8:50p.m. on Friday evening from one of the wooden structures and spread into other parts of the slum.
Even though the immediate cause of the fire could not be established, it is suspected to have been caused by an electrical fault and a gas that had been left leaking.
Preliminary reports indicate that over 100 wooden structures or kioks which serve as accommodation for the residents have been gutted or burned to ashes.
Stories That May Interest You:
We’ll work with 30% increment – True Drivers Union snubs Government
Pastor rubbishes Akufo-Addo's order on public gatherings
Mole park elephant attacks poacher
Obinim will be among the few to make it to heaven – Prophet Nigel prophesies
How to spot and avoid mobile money fraudsters
Teacher unions call off strike after court order
New Regional capitals to be known next Tuesday
GEPA hosts 4th made-in-Ghana Street fair
We won’t let coronavirus spread in Koforidua – MCE assures
‘Sex for grades’: 'Let me be your side guy' – UG lecturer begs student